Assumptions to be Challenged
•Seclusion and restraints are therapeutic
•Seclusion and restraints keep people safe
•Seclusion and restraints are not meant to be punishment
•Staff know how to recognize potentially violent situations
[Facts About Seclusion and Restraint]
•Seclusion and restraints are not therapeutic. There is actually no evidence-based research that supports the idea that restraints are therapeutic.
•Seclusion and restraints do not keep people safe. The harm is well documented; not only the physical harm, but also the emotional and mental harm. Restraints actually harm and can cause death. Broken bones and cardiopulmonary complications are associated with the use of seclusion and restraint (FDA, 1992; NYS OMH, 1994).
•Even though most staff would say that seclusion and restraints are not used as punishment, 60-75 percent of consumers view it as punishment for refusal to take meds or participate in programs.
•Holzworth and Wills, 1999, conducted research on nurses’ decisions based on clinical cues with respect to patients’ agitation, self-harm, inclinations to assault others, and destruction of property. Nurses agreed only 22 percent of the time on what constituted a violent situation. The longer nurses have worked in mental health positively correlates with greater consistency in determining potentially violent situations.
•In 1998, the Hartford Courant completed a series of investigative reports concerning the use of seclusion and restraints and found an alarming number of deaths. The majority of deaths related to seclusion and restraint are a result of asphyxiation or cardiac-related issues.
•Even more disturbing was that many of the deaths were unreported. Few States require the reporting and investigation of a death in a private or State psychiatric facility. The Harvard Center for Risk Analysis at the Harvard School of Public Health estimated that the annual number of deaths range from 50 to 150 per year—which translates into one to three deaths every week (Weiss, 1998)
33. Do you want your dream pierced?
Only by someone I really trust, like Victor Hugo or the sky
64. Who is probably talking a load of crap about you right now for 6 months ?
She’s the salt and I’m the pestle. But it’s not her fault, she wasn’t raised like we were.
- 1. Think of the last person who said I love
, do you think they
- 2. Would you date an
at the age you are now
at the same time
- 3. When’s the last time you were
the last person you talked to
- 4. Would you ever smile at a stranger
- 5. Is there someone because you’re dating/talking to the person you are?
- 6. Have you heard a song that reminds you of today?
- 7. What exactly are you right now?
- 8. How often do you
- 9. Do you
music jeans or sweats more
- 10. Do you think your life will change dramatically
- 11. Are you a social or an
- 12. Have you ever kissed someone whose
name begins with the letter
- 13. What about ‘R’
- 14. Can you drive a stick shift?
- 15. Do you care if people talk badly about
- 16. Are you going out of soon
- 17. When was the last time now doing
- 18. Have you ever told you loved them?
- 19. If you change your cried
, would you
- 20. Is there a
who you would do absolutely everything for?
- 21. Name something you about the
- 22. Is it cute when guys you on your
- 23. Are you dating
- 24. What are you sitting on
- 25. Does anyone regularly (other than
) tell you they love
- 26. Have you ever wanted someone you
- 27. Who was the last person talked to before you last night?
- 28. Do you get a lot of you
- 29. Where is the shirt you are wearing from
- 30. Does anyone
- 31. Do you have any empty alcohol bottles hidden somewhere in your you
- 32. Do you like watching scary
- 33. Do you want your
- 34. If you had to opposite
one year of your life completely, which would be
- 35. Did you have a
- 36. When was the last time you told someone you
- 37. Do you think you’ll be
went to bed
in 5 years?
- 38. Do you think someone has feelings for
- 39. Do you think someone is
thinking about right now?
- 40. Did you have a good day
- 41. Think back 2
supposed to be
months ago; were you in a
next 48 hours
- 42. In the , will you hang out with a girl?
- 43. Has anyone told you they don’t you?
- 44. What’s the best
part about ?
- 45. Do you have any
on your Facebook?
- 46. Do you ever pass notes to your feelings
- 47. Do you replay things that
have happened in your head
- 48. Were you over the last ?
- 49. Is your life
anything like it was ?
- 50. What are you
had a conversation with ?
- 51. Do you hate the last
- 52. Are you nice to
- 53. Have you ever liked someone you didn’t
- 54. Do you think you can last in a
relationship and not cheat
two years ago
- 55. Are you good at hiding boyfriends
- 56. Do you think you like pictures
- 57. Have you kissed someone whose name starts with a ‘J’?
- 58. Do you prefer to be friends with
guy girls or your friends in school
- 59. Has anyone of your friends ever seen you
- 60. Do you hate
- 61. How’s your
- 62. Is there something that
want to ever in your past that you hate talking about
- 63. Have you ever over a
- 64. Who is probably talking a load of crap about you right now
for 6 months
- 65. Are your
- 66. Will your next kiss be a mistake
- 67. Girls love it when cry; correct
- 68. Have your pants ever fallen down in cry
- 69. Who was you were on the phone
- 70. How do you look
your complete self
- 71. Do you have you can be around
- 72. Can you commit to one person
- 73. Do you have someone of the
sex you can tell everything to?
- 74. Have you ever felt your friends
- 75. Did you relationships
- 76. Are you a person?
- 77. Are
ever worth it?
- 78. Anyone you’re giving up on
- 79. Currently wanting to see your door at 3AM
- 80. Name something you have to do
- 81. Last person you cried in front of
- 82. Is there you will never
- 83. Do you think the person you have for is
- 84. If the person you wish to be with
you, what would you be right ?
- 85. Are you over your past
the last person
- 86. Have you ever
liked one of your best friends of the opposite ?
- 87. Is there anyone you can tell
- 88. If your first true
knocked on your door with apology and
, would you
- 89. So, the last person you kissed just happens to arrive at
; do you let them in
- 90. Have you ever
someone who hated?
- 91. Will you be in a relationship in 2 love
- 92. Is there anyone you know with the name
- 93. Have you ever kissed a lies
- 94. Were you in a relationship in ? How was it ?
- 95. Were you happy with the person you liked in March?
- 96. Don’t tell me
Matthew, is the last person you texted attractive
- 97. Who do you have from
- 98. If the person you like says they like someone in January your profile
, what would
in your profile
- 99. Have you ever kissed someone older than
- 100. Who’s
picture with ?
okay I understand these are borderline incomprehensible but please ask me them anyway I want to try answering them
not as good as my favorite Hugo quote, “to love another person is to see the face of God”
Proscuitto, pirate berry cereal, smoked white cheddar, and nyquil. What do you make?
people seem to all be responding to this post with the same train of thought: prosciutto and cheese sticks, fried in cereal breading, nyquil sauce on the side. but do you know what counts against you in chopped? lack of creativity. congratulations, every single one of you with the same hivemind answer just got voted out. not to mention the concept of a nyquil sauce on cheese sticks (smoked cheese especially) is fucking appalling. and if you can’t taste the nyquil, that’s also grounds to get voted out.
take it from a fucking crocker, there isn’t anything that can’t be made into a good meal. especially this? at it’s base, all of these are strong, hearty flavors. not necessarily ones i’d opt to pair and i try not to make a habit out of cooking with menthol, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be made to work.
i’m gonna hit this with a double feature, because i want this meal to happen. trying to force all possible basket ingredients into the smallest conceivable physical space, as is the case with the cheese stick ideal, may get the job done but like i said, it’s gonna taste like shit. breaking it into separate parts will cut you a little closer on time, but the dish itself will be better and your presentation will take a heavy bonus.
so here’s what you do.
take a two tablespoons of nyquil and put it in a small saucepan with two parts water to one part nyquil and pinch of salt. tiny, my man. a quarter teaspoon, maybe. let it steep over a low broil for 5 or so minutes* or until the water starts to take on a greenish tint. don’t stir it. separate the thicker part of the syrup from the ugly menthol-tinted water like you’d take out an egg white. dump the syrupy bit, but keep what is now a nyquil extract in the saucepan.
take that off the burner and let it cool to room temperature and put it into a small bowl; mix it in with a dash of real mint, three teaspoons of lemon juice, a tablespoon of white wine vinegar, two teaspoons of honey, another teaspoon of salt and a half cup of olive oil. this little vinaigrette will serve the purpose of a standard mint, save for that glaringly artificial taste that there’s no fucking way you’re going to be able to avoid cooking with nyquil anyways. it’s the difference between real oranges and orange gummies, but since the hors d’ouvre we’re making is primarily sweet anyways, it won’t hurt anyone to slide into the candy-like flavor realm.
*while your extract is steeping, make the most of your wait time and peel and cut a few slim wedges of ripe sweet melon. personally, i prefer charentais, but the best the chopped pantry will probably have is gonna be canteloupe. (honeydew works too, but it harshes the color scheme.) half your wedges once you get them out into a nice finger-food size. you should still have time to strip your prosciutto into inch/inch and a half wide strips, but if you don’t, you can take that on while the saucepan is cooling.
once your vinaigrette is done and mixed, toss your melon wedges in it until they’ve got a nice, sweet sheen over ‘em, and then wrap the seasoned wedges in the prosciutto. this is an italian classic, and it’s super easy. like i said before, the artificial taste of the nyquil will give this a slight twinge of tasting more like a snack, but overall, it’s still a great appetizer. if you do it right, this is high marks city.
“oh, fucker, but you didn’t even touch the berry cereal or the cheese!”
you are absolutely fucking right. because you know how bad it would’ve tasted if i did? i’m giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you don’t. so here’s the long-awaited fabled part two.
from the pantry, you’re gonna need some good apples. they don’t specify which wood the cheese was smoked with, but i’m going to assume it was hickory as that tends to be the favorite for cheddar flavors? so you can compliment the hickory smoke with a tart apple that’s got a sweetness to it – honeycrisp or braeburn are gonna be on the money.
put a whole apple (not peeled or cored, but make sure to take the stem off), a cup of apple cider vinegar, a cup of water, a cup of sugar, a tablespoon of salt, two teaspoons of cinnamon, and a tablespoon of lemon juice into the food processor and light that shit up. put your mushy applesauce-style mix into a large, wide pan into it until it caramelizes and evens out. it’s butter now.
now take two cups of berry cereal and take the actual berries out. with a mortar and pestle, grind up those weird yellow square bits into cereal dust. cut 6-8 slices from a thin loaf of french bread, brush the crusts in olive oil, and roll vertically in the cereal dust. once the outside of the bread has a second crust of cereal around the outside, arrange all of the pieces on a non-stick cooking pan. (you won’t use all of them in your plating, but it never hurts to have a little extra in case they burn on the edges or something gets fucky.)
take the apple butter you made and spread it thinly but evenly over the bread slices. cover them with a layer of folded prosciutto, a layer of thin apple slices, and a layer of sliced smoked cheese. bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the bread (and cereal) is golden brown.
plate on a flat square dish with one baked cheddar and apple butter tea sandwich fixed to one corner, your prosciutto-wrapped melon wedge in the opposite corner with the core-curve facing the center of the plate. accent the sandwich side with two apple slices forming an angle, and divide the plate with a colorful drizzle of the nyquil vinaigrette and a mint leaf.
last, but most certainly not least. while you’re on chopped, in that cute little cutscene after your plates have been served and you’re monologuing your final thoughts before the judges try your food,
look directly into the camera and invite tumblr user @tedallen to suck your dick.
Jesus christ, you win all of chopped.
Are you happy? Are you happy the network canceled chopped because of you? Unbelievable. Well, take your pants off, let’s go.
Some sketch with patriotic duet in this day!
I Get a Kick Out of You by Frank Sinatra, being played on a radio after everything else is destroyed.
You’ll want good headphones if you can find them in the detritus that once was your planet.